22 May 2012
Here are 10 essential elements of effective logo design that help create a powerful logo:
1. Preliminary Sketches – Brainstorm ideas by putting the initial look and feel to paper.
2. Research – Find a design style that is appropriate for the brand, looking at how other similar companies approach their style.
3. Knowledge – Look at what logo designs have worked and not worked in the past.
4. Originality – Create something unique and intelligent that stands out.
5. Simplicity – Create a simple yet clever eye-catching design.
6. Typography – The look and feel of the lettering can make or break a logo. Be sure to avoid commonly used fonts, and try many different font families.
image by sergeyshapiro.com
7. Timeless Quality – Apple, Nike and Coca-Cola can be regarded as the epitome of timeless quality logos.
8. Right Size and Colours – Make sure that your logo doesn’t have any distortions and its colours are relevant.
9. Appropriateness – Your logo design should suit the company and portray its brand essence. For instance, if you’re an eco brand, make sure that the brand reflects that.
10. Recognition – No matter if it’s small or large, whether it’s inverted or in black and white, consumers must be able to easily recognise your logo.